Hi, I’m Ben.
80,000 Hours is a non-profit that provides free research and support to help people find careers that effectively tackle the world’s most pressing problems.
Right now I’m on sabbatical – traveling, studying Chinese and meditating.
See my full bio.
Follow all my writing on Twitter.
Or random personal things on instagram.
Some of the writing I’m more proud of:
- The 80,000 Hours advanced series (formerly key ideas series)
- The 80,000 Hours career guide
- An introduction to effective altruism
- A list of the world’s most pressing problems
- The case for reducing extinction risks
- Podcast: what’s the core idea of effective altruism?
- Talent gaps vs. funding gaps
- Is it fair to say most social interventions don’t work? & All the studies we could find on how much solutions to social problems differ in effectiveness.
- How communities can coordinate to do more good
- Video: How to compare the world’s most pressing problems
- My updates on effective altruism after FTX
Some of my most popular writing & media:
- What makes for a dream job? What the evidence says.
- TEDx: To find work you love, don’t follow your passion
- What are the world’s biggest problems?
- All the evidence-based advice we could find on being more successful
See a list of everything I’ve written at 80,000 Hours.
If you’d like to write about me or 80,000 Hours, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Some other interests
- Philosophy & physics: here’s a video by one of my favourite tutors at university (sad this was never made), and an interview we did with another.
- Investing: See some of my investing philosophy, favourite book.
- Travel: I traveled from Tokyo to Singapore overland before university, mostly by train. I’ve been to China 10 times, and I speak Chinese, badly.
- Secular Buddhism: I’ve been to meditation retreat at Gaia House annually since 2016, and have made it a bigger focus since 2022. Some of my biggest influences are: Shamil Chandaria, Rob Burbea, Michael Taft, and Loch Kelly.
- Personal developmenty stuff: Once a year I do an annual life review – some others have found the process useful, so here’s the 2020 version, and the simpler 2019 version. Right now I’m also practicing IFS and here’s an article I wrote about evidence-based personal development.
- Fitness: Besides the normal things (lately weightlifting), I practice qigong (though I’m not sure about qi), acroyoga, and once kick-boxed for Oxford.
- Food: Some favourite restaurants: Bocca di Lupo, St John, Kiln, Ozone, Bartavelle, Oli’s Thai, Kaizen, Mao Chow.
- Music: the future, juddery rhythms, arvo stabat, spacious jazz,
Consulting & speaking
I consult on non-profit startup strategy, and currently advise the Global Priorities Institute at the University of Oxford, the Centre for Effective Altruism, and the Tianxia Academy. I was one of the first non-profit founders to go through Y Combinator. I do public speaking, and have given a TEDx talk.
Contact me: ben at 80000hours.org